Saturday 27 January 2018

Satellite Success !!

This posting is for anyone who like me is a satellite TV virgin.

If you are an old hand at this lark then this is not for you so you could go and paper the back bedroom like the wife has been asking you to do for months.

After getting the repaired dish back thought I would give it another try at getting it to work at home.

The thirteen year old teenager on the Maxview stand made it all seem very easy,23 degrees or so inclination,point it roughly south,adjust azimuth slightly ( see I am getting into this ) and Astra 2 will be spilling forth its juicy goodies in a jiffy.

Decided to take it to Mr.Roscoe's garden who has a more open view than ours but despite farting about for an hour including Mr.Roscoe dancing about with the damn thing on his garage roof we got precisely sod all apart from a false alarm from Hotbird ( that's Hotbird,a satellite,not a Hot Bird )

I then looked on my phone at a web site ( Sat-Direction Site ) where you rather cleverly put in your postcode,an aerial map of your house pops up along with exact inclination and azimuth readings.

It turned out that we should have been pointing about 35 degrees east of south not directly south give or take a degree or so as we had thought.

After adjusting to this setting,abracadabra we had TV,sadly it was Strictly Come Dancing but it was at least a picture plus we had umpteen other channels to pick from.

The saddest thing is though there was no sign of Say Yes To The Dress or Babenation but there's time yet.

Ian

2 comments:

  1. I dont know why you put yourself through these ordeals . I just use my status ariel, never failed yet even in the Scottish highlands.I must admit I do check digital coverage of stations before booking,and a signal finder seems to do the job. Your a glutton for punishment , anyway I have a bedroom to wallpaper,no seriously I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you don't seem to recall going through exactly the same pallaver on the Broads with my Aldi suitcase setup!

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete