Thursday, 21 September 2017

U4 Cadiz Correction

Just to correct something regarding the width of the rear single beds in the U4 Cadiz.

I said that they were 2" narrower in the U4 than the U3.

That is incorrect,they are 1" narrower.

To be honest I don't find that acceptable when there isn't a dire need for it.


Wednesday, 20 September 2017

U4 Awning Sizes &TPMS

Anyone wishing to dash out and buy a U4 Cadiz,please be aware that the awning sizes have changed.

U3 Single Axle ( apart from Seville ):-1045cm
U4 Single Axle :- 1027cm

Thanks to Bill Tweedie to alerting me to this fact.

It also now comes with a Tyrepal head unit and not just the sensors as with the U3


Tuesday, 19 September 2017

Cooker Hob Glass Panel

A chap on Caravan Talk has just had to lay out about £50 or so on a new glass cover for the cooker hob.

As we know,when the glass lid is closed it cuts off the gas supply.

However it doesn't shut down the electricity to the hotplate so the lid will eventually shatter from the heat build up.

Worth bearing in mind.


Saturday, 16 September 2017

Red Valve & Microwave The End

Well replaced the nicely cleaned out red valve to the Alde boiler and tested it out with the external pump in a bucket of water and it still dripped so perhaps it is meant to.

Having said that the boiler wasn't on with gas or electric just full of water so perhaps it may be OK when running properly,any way we shall see I will keep you informed,shan't use any sleep.

At least I have a clean valve and have learnt about John Guest Speedlink valves,every day is a schoolday.

Incidentally if you go down this route when replacing the valve on the boiler spigot press it in hard,I thought it had seated properly but another shove and it went in some more.

Onto the microwave and I decided to take it to the local repair shop as ending my life touching a charged capacitor was not what I had planned.

They replaced the bulb for just the cost of the bulb,£6,great service.

On E Bay the bulbs cost more than that.

When the microwave is out,by removing the four screw covers underneath and undoing the four screws, there appears to be some untidy wiring left by the artisan craftsmen of Bristol.

I decided to tidy this up by taping it down neatly,however if you do this the microwave doesn't sit properly as presumably the wiring likes to find its own space.

Just a tip.

Oh and despite first impressions the plug slips nicely through the hole in the wooden partition.


Thursday, 14 September 2017

Descaling Contd.

One of my correspondents,David Mantell,suggested after my last post about descaling the red valve that if that wanted doing then the boiler and asociated pipework may need doing as well which is a fair point.

I think very little about scaling as we live in a soft water area.

Anyway I contacted Alde to ask what was the best stuff to use and received the reply that they recommend Puriclean.



Wednesday, 13 September 2017

The Minor Alde Problem

When we were at Durham Grange I noticed a water drip from under the offside front side of the van.

On closer inspection I discovered that this was coming from a clear plastic tube attached to the Alde 3020 boiler.

It wasn't running like a river but just a steady drip,now most people would perhaps have ignored it but me being me it had to be attended to.

After a promptly answered e-mail to Alde,it turns out that this is a common problem caused by dirt or limescale blocking the red valve at the top right hand corner of the boiler as you stand in front of it in the van.

The remedy is to remove the valve,soak it in some descaler or white vinegar solution and reattach it hopefully solving the problem.


The valve is attached to the boiler by John Guest Speedlink fittings,if you don't know what these are,and I didn't,there is a video on You Tube explaining them  :-

John Guest Speedlink

The valve removes reasonably easily from the pipe but is a little bit more difficult from the boiler spigot.

Anyway I have it soaking in some descaler and will reattach it in the next few days and report back as to whether the dripping has stopped.


Sunday, 10 September 2017

Durham Grange

Just returned from four nights at Durham Grange C&MC site.

Been here many times before so won't dwell on it.

Had a very minor problem with the Alde boiler which I will post about when I have sorted it out as it may assist other people.

As previously posted the bulb went on the microwave ( first world problem eh ).

Bill Tweedie has kindly suggested a remedy so I will see about fixing it or getting it fixed as I like things to work properly if they are supposed to,but what possesses someone ( Daewoo in this case ) to design a microwave where the bulb isn't easy to change,bulbs do go from time to time.

We had a Panasonic at home and the bulb was behind a small trapdoor,easy to swap.

I think I am turning,with very good reason,into a grumpy old man.

The grey clip fell off the offside front  window blind and yes you've guessed it,fell down the gap between the seat backs and the van wall onto the Alde radiator .

Another hand squeezing job to remove it,good job I am slim and supple,then it was out with the glue.

This is the third to have fallen off,the original glue must be reaching the end of its life.

Incidentally I noticed on the U4 Cadiz that this gap down to the radiator which acts as a magnet for stuff to fall down is still the same and hasn't been addressed.

Perhaps the members of the Bailey focus group all have very small hands.