Tuesday 5 November 2019

Socket To 'Em

Recently whilst removing the caravan wheels for winter storage I found that using a 19mm socket on the smaller ( outer) part of the wheel nut adaptor didn't give enough of a positive fitting to remove the nuts without the danger of chavelling ( technical term ) them up as it is not very wide ( see photo below ).

I had to get someone to hold the socket on,130Nm is surprisingly tight.

I managed to chavel last year and ended up buying a new set of bolts.

I then had the brainwave to use the inner part of the adaptor for a bit more purchase as it is a bit wider and closer to the wheel..


Now it may be the case that everyone else has been doing this since Adam was a lad but it was a new thought to me but I am always the last to catch on.

The purpose of this post is to say that if you are looking for a socket to fit the inner ( larger ) part of the adaptor it is 21mm,strangely a spark plug socket also fits it as well.




The socket cost £1.15,or it may be £1.75 I have lost the receipt,from B&Q,the "down south" proviso from the last post also kicks in here.

We have little money left up here after we have fed t'whippet and bought a new peak for our cap.


Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment