Thursday 15 March 2018

Strip Replacement

As appears to be usual on the Unicorn 3 range the white strips front and rear which cover the gap between the caravan bodywork and the front bumpers were beginning to look a bit grim.

Replacement strips are available from the Bailey Parts ( Prima Leisure ) site at a cost of about a fiver ( Part Number :- 1132588 ) for a 2.5m length,you will need two one for the back and one for the front.

However before you dash off to increase the contents of Mr.Bailey's pockets,wait awhile.

This is the state they were in prior to removal,I started at the rear first:-



Unfortunately the side sections appear to be well fixed to the van so I left them alone and just  concentrated on the long centre section,this applied to both back and front:-




The centre section pulls out easily enough leaving a small gap that had its fair share of gunge,crud and crap in it which I removed with an old credit card and wiped it clean with a cloth.

Now comes the money saving bit,when they are removed it leaves a small gap which doesn't look too bad without the strip.



I fact if I was doing it again I would be tempted to just leave it but as I had the strips I ploughed on.

The new strip is fiddly to apply and would have been easier in warmer weather but had it sorted eventually :-



That was the back done so it was on to the front,pulled the centre strip out and once again it was concealing a dung heap.

Now after much trying we couldn't get the front seal to fit properly for some reason so left it without the strip which I may try reapplying in warmer weather but actually it looks OK without in my opinion :-

/



So to sum up the strips look a bit of a mess as were so removing/replacing them is a good idea and it looks a lot cleaner without them,whether you bother with new ones is of course a personal decision but it does look OK without and after all the strips are only "decorative" and don't provide any waterproofing so it is up to you.

The basic design is a bit of an abortion really and I note they have gone on the U4 to be replaced by a smooth front one of the few things I like about the U4.

Ian



1 comment:

  1. I have cleaned mine before but agree they look better without the rubber strips.I think if mine are gungy, I will just bin them as they do not perform any function other than decorative.

    ReplyDelete